Saturday, September 8, 2007

Why I now severly dislike the Sopranos

To start with i was never a fan of the soprano's....in fact i've never watched an episode. But ever since the last one i find myselof cursing the show at least 4000 times a day (Exaggerated for dramatic effect)....Would you like to know why?

Well since you're reading this I'm going to presume you do. I happen to be a huge music fan and what the soprano's did is inexcusable in my eyes. They brought back a genre I'd hoped dead. 80's Power-Ballad pop. Most people heard the first few seconds of Journey's Don't stop Believin' wondering what the song was. Some "clever" DJ/researcher thought it would be a great laugh to play the song and tell everyone what it was from and who it was. Since then any request show has played it at least twice, plus the other DJ's who just play it. (for reasons unknown)

Now I'm not a miserable old coot who resents popular culture or the retro side of things. And okay it has in some way relaunched Journey, they were top of the download charts on iTunes after the show.

What concerns me is that the whole 80's power pop ballad genre could be resurrected. The flood gates could open to the proverbial uncle/dad's embarrassing record collection. The airwaves will be jammed with Europe's The Final Countdown, Van Halen's Jump and who knows what else will come off the bargain shelf at HMV/Virgin.

One thing that is important to remember is that these songs were popular already.....and presumably there is a reason why they weren't up until the Soprano's played it.

Luckily for me since the summer is over, so are my radio listening days for a long time.........

Hopefully



BTW this is just my opinion......

No comments: